Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Father's Day!


In honor of father’s day, I offer the following quotes.  I am not certain of all the authors and their backgrounds, but their words mean a lot.  For those fathers who are no longer with us and the millions of men who are fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers and those men who someday will be fathers….these are for you!


 "If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right." -- Bill Cosby

 "A new father quickly learns that his child invariably comes to the bathroom at precisely the times when he's in there, as if he needed company. The only way for this father to be certain of bathroom privacy is to shave at the gas station." -- Bill Cosby


 "I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example." -- Mario Cuomo


 "A father is a banker provided by nature." -- French Proverb

 "Any man can be a Father but it takes someone special to be a dad." -- Anne Geddes


 "If the past cannot teach the present and the father cannot teach the son, then history need not have bothered to go on, and the world has wasted a great deal of time." -- Russell Hoban



 "My father died many years ago, and yet when something special happens to me, I talk to him secretly not really knowing whether he hears, but it makes me feel better to half believe it." -- Natasha Josefowitz

 "The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm over his shoulder and says, 'Daddy, I need to ask you something,' he is a pat of butter in a hot frying pan." -- Garrison Keillor

 "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." -- Clarence Budington Kelland




“I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be." -- Abraham Lincoln


 "My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -- Abraham Lincoln


"Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance." -- Ruth E. Renkel

 "It's only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home—it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love." -- Margaret Truman

 "A man's children and his garden both reflect the amount of weeding done during the growing season". -- Unknown

 "A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty." -- Unknown

 "Small boy's definition of Father's Day: It's just like Mother's Day only you don't spend so much." -- Unknown

 "A father is a guy who has snapshots in his wallet where his money used to be." -- Unknown


 "By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong." -- Charles Wadsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment