There are a number of things you can consciously do to build self confidence. By using these 9 strategies you can get the mental edge you need to reach your potential.
- Refuse to allow others to dictate your Future – I read an article a few months ago that stated “If you are concerned with your future, change your past”. You have a major role in molding your future, don’t let others shape it. Take control!
- Build Your Life Around Truth and Facts – It is so easy to tell the truth. Just do it! When you start to fib, those fibs catch up to you and you do not realize that you are living in a dream world built on dishonesty. Don't base your character on emotion and feelings. Build ‘who you are’ around facts and truths.
- Adopt an Ethic of Learning and Education - Education never stops. Never stop learning or developing new skills. Keep your mind open to learning new things. As I have stated many times in my blog, “Always be learning”!
- Learn and take positive action on your failures - Accept and welcome the learning experience that failure allows us to have. Learn from the rejection, do not repeat it and do better next time.
- Take personal criticism calmly - Refuse to let other people's opinions and feelings decide how you feel about yourself or your potential in life. Grow your “Emotional Intelligence” factor!
- Know the Difference Between Perfection and Effectiveness – Always give 110% but keep in mind that you will never be able to operate at 100%. This sounds strange but what I am suggesting is to focus on effectiveness rather than perfection. What is it that you're trying to accomplish? Are you accomplishing that objective, even if you fall short in some of the details or particulars? While people should dream big, they should set goals that are realistic. Follow the SMART goal settings system that we talked about earlier.
- Speak Positively About Yourself and Others – Always practice the “Golden Rule”. Stop the negative talk. Stop putting yourself down and stop criticizing others. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it!
- The glass is always half full - Keep your mind focused on the good things in your life and in the various situations you face. What do you spend most of your time thinking about? The answer will say a lot about your mood and perspective on life. Think positively.
- Volunteer and help the less fortunate – Lend a helping hand to those in need. Coaching youngsters, becoming involved in charity work, volunteering at your children’s school or at church. You get to socialize, meet new people and gain so much from the personal interactions.