Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What I learned after 30+ years in my career!


Over the past year I have been working to reinvent myself.  Like many others in today’s economy,  I wake up every day looking for meaningful work.  I hopefully will find something soon, but I am in no hurry just to land any job.  I want to ensure myself that I will look forward to going to work each day, making a difference!  I am very fortunate to have worked for some wonderful companies over the years where my work was appreciated and I felt that I contributed to the end results.  I have an aching desire to continue to make an impact and look forward to my next steps in  my career.  

This sabbatical has allowed me to do something that I always wanted to do. Write a book!  I am not sure if anyone will publish my manuscript [it now has over 50 chapters], but I am fairly confident that I have shared some wisdom over my 30 year career in sales and sales management.   I am not at an endpoint in my corporate career but rather just a rest stop and I am glad that I had a chance to share some thoughts with my readers. Here are some treasures that it took some time to learn:

Humility is a virtue ~ I have been so fortunate over the years to work for great people.  People who have shown through actions and deeds that humility is indeed a key virtue to hold close to one’s heart.  “Nobody on this earth cares or should care how much you know until they realize how much you care”. I am truly blessed to have witnessed this and be mentored by this philosophy over the years.  I hope that it becomes your # 1 takeaway from this blog!

Judge yourself one day at a time ~ How did I influence the outcomes of  today?  Was there anything that happened today that you were proud of?  If so, count yourself lucky and also successful!  I used to be able to say that I could count on my fingers the days that something good did not happen….after 30 years, I need my toes as well, but that’s not too shabby.  ALL is good!  Be thankful!

Never cut corners ~ It may not always be the easy thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.  If you can look at yourself in the mirror at the end of each day and say that you gave it your best…there is nothing else that anyone could ever ask of you!  Think of it as making things easier for those who follow you but always have at your heart your core values.  Never, ever relax on your standards!  Be ethical and professional in all that you do.

Always be Learning! ~  I will be dead when the day comes that I cannot learn.  The world and the business models are changing daily.  Never has technology brought so much change to our marketplace.  Accept this change and adapt to it.  Take time to hone your skills and “re-invent” yourself!

Accept failures, but do not repeat them ~ Learning from mistakes will help you achieve your potential.  Without forging ahead, you will be left behind.  Take time to explore new areas and anticipate the need to change direction from time to time.  It will save you a bundle!

Listen no less than 2X the amount that you talk ~ The art of listening will help you minimize challenges and gain a quick grasp of what needs to be done.  The most noise comes from an empty barrel.  Be cognizant of this and seek to understand the events happening around you.

Never sacrifice quality for quantity ~ Always give your best effort! Be prepared and work with others to make things happen.  Do it in a positive can-do manner turning the day's lemons into lemonade!


Appreciate life – It goes much too quickly!  Take time to smell the roses and relish in the rewards of being happy, fulfilled and successful!  Over the years, I have learned a number of great things and some not so great...one thing I promise, I won't stop learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment