Monday, August 27, 2012

You need this to be a LEADER ~ John J Arent

Over this past weekend, I watched a number of sports teams in person and on TV.  One common thing that I saw in all the games was LEADERSHIP.  In the NFL pre-season games, when a QB made a poor throw, he acknowledged that it was his fault.  We have all seen it in many sports where a player recognizes his mistake and takes the blame.  One of my favorite times of the year is late August when the Little League World Series takes place in Williamsport. PA.  I had the honor and privilege to tour this site a number of years and spend hours in the museum.  The names of the "now famous" leaders in our times are immortalized on the museums walls.  I often wondered if the core values learned in competitive youth sports served these eventual leaders in their careers...

In the Little League WORLD SERIES, a throwing error was acknowledged by the player who threw wildly to first base. So often during the high stress level that is associated with competitive sports, the humbling acknowledgement by players prove what they are really all about.   I realize that not all of this is true acknowledgement that we are imperfect at times...but from what I have observed over the years and have learned from my mentors...True Leadership is the ability to show HUMILITY.

Let's take a lesson from our youth and humble ourselves and admit that we may be wrong...What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment