Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Promote your BEST people ~ John J Arent


Over the past six months, I have posted multiple original blogs on manpower development.  This has been a core belief that I have had throughout my career.  Being fortunate to be a sales manager for over two decades has allowed me the opportunity to help develop various colleagues in advancement of their careers.  A few weeks ago, I saw an article whose title was “Never promote your Best People”.  I did not read the article due to my beliefs but I have thought about it often and felt pressed to once again share my thought on "people development" Holding back someone in their personal development due to a "fear" that a manager has in losing their best people is very short-sighted and selfish of the manager.   I have always believed that my #1 responsibility as a manager was to develop my people.  Not just the skills to be successful in their current position but to broaden their scope on the total business.  In this way, you are strengthening the entire organization.  I have written several blogs, and have links to three of them that I have done recently.




Never short-change your people but also do not just promote someone due to their stellar results in their current position without developing the skills necessary for success at the next level. People skill development or soft skill sets are vitally important in order to be a successful leader.  I will devote future blogs tot my thoughts on those skill sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment